Skip to main content

A New Dream, A New FIRE

I remember the first time I thought of myself as an adult. My mum and I were talking and I disagreed with what she was saying. That definitely wasn't the first time; I was a teenager once and I naturally contradicted my mother as a deranged rite of passage quite often. But this time, I honestly didn't think that she was correct, without any malice or spitefulness, and the thought occurred to me; my mum might just be wrong, and I may be right.

This moment came with a wave of realization as that thought blossomed into an idea; just because one of my parents say something, that does not make it necessarily correct. Suddenly, the frame at which I look at people of my parents' generation shifted from rather omniscient guidance counselors to just people, like me. I realized that I didn't have to defer decisions to them just based on their elder status, and that I could confidently make my way in the world without permission.

I was in my mid-twenties when this happened. It was a pretty humbling revelation for me, and one that many of my peers had probably already had. But it is crystallized in my mind as the day I finally though of myself as an adult, not just a kid playing pretend. 


Now I'm 28-years-old and I believe I am really getting my stride in this whole "adult" thing. I am now aiming my gaze at finances, and the terror that strikes into the hearts of many, particularly Millennials. 

Just a few weeks ago, I was watching a TED Talk by Lacey Filipich about financial independence. She mentioned this acronym F.I.R.E; Financial Independence, Retire Early. I've begun to feel that I really should know more about money aside from make it, spend it, and hopefully save it. So I looked up FIRE at my local library and found a book called Playing with FIRE by Scott Rieckens. I picked it up and spent the whole next week possessed by this book.


 
If you don't know what FIRE is and we're discovering it together, here is the extremely simple equation to get you to financial independence:

Calculate your yearly expenses. Save, save, save, and invest preferably in index funds. Once you have invested twenty-five times your annual expenses, you can comfortably live off of withdrawing 4% of the interest on your investments, and not have to go to work. Ta. Da.


See? Sounds simple. There is a lot more to it, but that is the bare bones. Now, most people following FIRE succeed because while they do the above, they are also using tools and techniques to lower their expenses and increase their savings to shorten the years it takes to become financially independent.
And that's where I am. As of a few days ago, I wiped out the last bit of my debt, and I feel as though I can tackle this possible free future! I'm starting from square one. I have no particular knowledge of investing in any form, I have not managed to ever make a solid budget and stick to it, and I have also never made a blog... Yikes.

My intention is to keep track of how I'm going about FIRE, what I'm learning, what I'm saving, what I fail at, and what I manage to not mess up. My goal is to reach my financial freedom by the date I set myself, or bust. Though, it wont really be bust because even if I fail at that, I'll have managed to save more money than I ever had before. There's really no losing here. There is only onwards and upwards!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bit of a Downer

No one really teaches you how down life can get you. They might mention it, tell you about times they had where they struggled and felt depressed; but you never really think it will happen to you. It does indeed happen, and often. Sometimes it's just a little bit of a letdown; that job that you wanted went to someone else. Or it's the dying of a potential dream; that house you wanted is unobtainable. Or, if you're really lucky, all of that happens at the same time as your SO is quitting smoking. Ouch. I had a pretty disheartening week a little while ago. A temporary posting that would have allowed me to walk to work and save a lot of money went to someone else suddenly. I also love working at that location, so the effect was doubled. And my research into possibly getting a tiny home in my area to counteract the high rent prices revealed that my whole region is not friendly toward this small movement. Crushing. The tiny home discovery came because someone was selling

The Effort to Change

I find habits hard to make. Well, at least good habits. I am naturally a very lazy person. This surprises a lot of people when I tell them. I used to have goats and gardens and chickens and horses and dogs, and so many things that took up time in my day. I'd milk the goats and make cheese, I'd walk the dogs down at the river. I'd weed and weed and weed and weed the acre of gardens I tended. But I'm still a lazy bones Jones, as my mum used to say. Just because I am a lazy person, doesn't mean that I behave like one. All it means is that if I don't push myself, I would sit around and do not very much by default. However, I have things I want to do, so therein lies a conundrum. The logical and inescapable truth is I will have to build good habits to counteract my inner couch potato.  You can understand how being lazy leads to bad financial habits. I'm too lazy to make dinner, so I'll just get takeout. I'm too lazy to track what I spend, so I assum

The Average Story

Let's be honest. My story isn't original.  In fact it's probably pretty common in many ways. Most people these days look at "common" or "usual" as some sort of illness. In this age of perpetually inspired uniqueness, admitting one's commonality with your neighbour, whatever form that takes, feels like a bit of a failure somehow. My story is that I wasn't that good with money. I lived with a man for 7 years, my first real commitment, and he and I did not manage our money well. We both made good money for people in their early 20s, and I managed to get my two-year diploma for library and information technology without going into debt thanks to my parents putting aside an RESP. But at the end of the summer in 2018 when we split up, we had practically nothing saved and in fact both had some credit card debt. Thankfully, we had never integrated any of our finances together, so when I moved out, I took my bank account and my Visa with me and he kep