Skip to main content

The Average Story

Let's be honest. My story isn't original. 

In fact it's probably pretty common in many ways. Most people these days look at "common" or "usual" as some sort of illness. In this age of perpetually inspired uniqueness, admitting one's commonality with your neighbour, whatever form that takes, feels like a bit of a failure somehow.

My story is that I wasn't that good with money. I lived with a man for 7 years, my first real commitment, and he and I did not manage our money well. We both made good money for people in their early 20s, and I managed to get my two-year diploma for library and information technology without going into debt thanks to my parents putting aside an RESP. But at the end of the summer in 2018 when we split up, we had practically nothing saved and in fact both had some credit card debt. Thankfully, we had never integrated any of our finances together, so when I moved out, I took my bank account and my Visa with me and he kept his. A beloved cousin who had just come into some money loaned me the damage deposit and first-month's rent on my new place so I wouldn't have to move back in with my parents.

I splurged some more a few months after moving out, spending a lot more time out with my friends seeing movies and having dinner. A little while later, I started to see one of them more and more, and we went to dinner a lot. So by the time the New Year rolled around, here were my approximate totals:

Cousin Loan of Love: $1500 (due by September)
Visa: $1500 (with lovely 19% interest)

I aimed to have it sorted by May, and I almost did, except my car started to smoke in April and $2300 later, my debt-free-date was shunted back. The way it worked out, just after I first heard about FIRE, I finally cleared my debt!


I would bet that many people have gone through something similar, or perhaps are in the middle of it. Shortly before my breakup in 2018 I read this incredible book called The Year of Less by Cait Flanders, where the author one day came into the realization that she had way too much stuff and she spent too much money on stuff.



The book really spoke to me, especially when I was separating my things from my ex's. So much stuff...  Before I discovered FIRE, I had already begun it; quit spending money on things you don't need.

I kept getting rid of stuff, almost every month I have another bag to go to the thrift store. At Christmas and my birthday, I explicitly told my family that I didn't want stuff; don't get me anything, I just want to spend the day with you. It was semi-successful. And when my new guy moved in with me, we purged his stuff hard. 'Stuff' is turning into a four-letter word for me.


So that's my baseboard to start from. Nothing original, nothing spectacular, but it is very exciting for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bit of a Downer

No one really teaches you how down life can get you. They might mention it, tell you about times they had where they struggled and felt depressed; but you never really think it will happen to you. It does indeed happen, and often. Sometimes it's just a little bit of a letdown; that job that you wanted went to someone else. Or it's the dying of a potential dream; that house you wanted is unobtainable. Or, if you're really lucky, all of that happens at the same time as your SO is quitting smoking. Ouch. I had a pretty disheartening week a little while ago. A temporary posting that would have allowed me to walk to work and save a lot of money went to someone else suddenly. I also love working at that location, so the effect was doubled. And my research into possibly getting a tiny home in my area to counteract the high rent prices revealed that my whole region is not friendly toward this small movement. Crushing. The tiny home discovery came because someone was selling

The Effort to Change

I find habits hard to make. Well, at least good habits. I am naturally a very lazy person. This surprises a lot of people when I tell them. I used to have goats and gardens and chickens and horses and dogs, and so many things that took up time in my day. I'd milk the goats and make cheese, I'd walk the dogs down at the river. I'd weed and weed and weed and weed the acre of gardens I tended. But I'm still a lazy bones Jones, as my mum used to say. Just because I am a lazy person, doesn't mean that I behave like one. All it means is that if I don't push myself, I would sit around and do not very much by default. However, I have things I want to do, so therein lies a conundrum. The logical and inescapable truth is I will have to build good habits to counteract my inner couch potato.  You can understand how being lazy leads to bad financial habits. I'm too lazy to make dinner, so I'll just get takeout. I'm too lazy to track what I spend, so I assum

First Budget! Really!

I am 28 and I have written up my first solid budget. Wait, what? Really? Yes. Really. Over the years, people (particularly my dad) would ask me if I had a budget. My answer would be, "yeah, I'm budgeting." This actually meant that I have a loose idea in my head how much money I need to make ends meet, and I make enough money to cover that, so I'm good. I'm not spend much over my general ballpark figures in my head. I'm alright with money. And yet, like many people in the working world, I was never able to have money set aside for long. A vehicle would need repair, I'd buy a huge amount of vegetable seeds for next spring (they grow food, I'm saving money in the long run!), I'd eat out a little more than I meant to because I'm too tired when I get home to make dinner, and so on and so forth. You know this tune right? It might sound a bit like yours. Thousands of small poor decisions nibbling away at the bit of money that wasn't in you