Skip to main content

The Wisdom of The Uncles

We all have the normal side of our family, and the wacky/weird/cooky side. If you can't think of which part of your family is the odd one, you might be in for a bit of a surprise upon further self-reflection. My uncles on my mum's side are my cooky family, hands down.

My dad's family is incredibly fun, supportive, tight-knit, and much larger. They're also two provinces away. That's not to say I love them less, know them less, or our relationship is somehow less. It's just a lot easier to get one whole side of the family together when they're only two cities away (give or take a ferry).

When my ex and I broke up and I began to really look at my debt, I asked them for general financial advice, telling them I planned to have my debt dealt with right away. They reaffirmed what I was already thinking:

1. Decimate debt
2. Make sure you're contributing to your pension plan through work
3. Live frugally
4. Don't incur debt on depreciating assets
5. "Don't take on a man with debt, (see depreciating assets as above)"
6. Consider whether you want to be a renter or a buyer
7. Be careful about divorce

After receiving this advice, I felt I was on the right track. I was actively doing or thinking about all of the above. When I cleared my debt and had discovered FIRE, I contacted them again. "I have come again to the shrine of experience and nepotism for financial questions!", I wrote. Flattery never hurts. 

The first few points were reiterations of the original advice; staying debt-free is key, unless it's on something that is a smart investment (such as a house), stay with your pension plan, beware the damage of a bad partner, and live frugally.

The new additions to the sagely wisdom of self-made men were as follows:

8. Take care of your mental and physical health through a regular exercise routine and mental health practices
9. "Don't plan on not working for financial gain, plan on not having to"
10. Keep your cash savings small as inflation will make it worth less
10a. Index funds are good for long-term investments
11. Keep your family close as an invaluable asset

If you know FIRE, you'll see some striking similarities between the advice from my uncles, who came from nothing and built their lives into the very comfortable situations they have now by working hard and saving, and the basic principles you can read in just about any FIRE blog or book.

On the point about living frugally, my Uncle Kevin equated it directly to his older brother, my Uncle Chris, the eternal bachelor: 

"The key to Chris' frugality is that it's not a chore. Chris doesn't do without. He's genuinely happy with what he has. It happens to be far less than what most of our fellow citizens believe they need to be happy. We live in a crazed consumer oriented capitalist madhouse. I love it, but like my love of wine, I'm the boss not the wine advertisers. Enjoy life but be the boss."

I think my uncles are FIRE advocates and they don't even realize it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bit of a Downer

No one really teaches you how down life can get you. They might mention it, tell you about times they had where they struggled and felt depressed; but you never really think it will happen to you. It does indeed happen, and often. Sometimes it's just a little bit of a letdown; that job that you wanted went to someone else. Or it's the dying of a potential dream; that house you wanted is unobtainable. Or, if you're really lucky, all of that happens at the same time as your SO is quitting smoking. Ouch. I had a pretty disheartening week a little while ago. A temporary posting that would have allowed me to walk to work and save a lot of money went to someone else suddenly. I also love working at that location, so the effect was doubled. And my research into possibly getting a tiny home in my area to counteract the high rent prices revealed that my whole region is not friendly toward this small movement. Crushing. The tiny home discovery came because someone was selling

First Budget! Really!

I am 28 and I have written up my first solid budget. Wait, what? Really? Yes. Really. Over the years, people (particularly my dad) would ask me if I had a budget. My answer would be, "yeah, I'm budgeting." This actually meant that I have a loose idea in my head how much money I need to make ends meet, and I make enough money to cover that, so I'm good. I'm not spend much over my general ballpark figures in my head. I'm alright with money. And yet, like many people in the working world, I was never able to have money set aside for long. A vehicle would need repair, I'd buy a huge amount of vegetable seeds for next spring (they grow food, I'm saving money in the long run!), I'd eat out a little more than I meant to because I'm too tired when I get home to make dinner, and so on and so forth. You know this tune right? It might sound a bit like yours. Thousands of small poor decisions nibbling away at the bit of money that wasn't in you

The Effort to Change

I find habits hard to make. Well, at least good habits. I am naturally a very lazy person. This surprises a lot of people when I tell them. I used to have goats and gardens and chickens and horses and dogs, and so many things that took up time in my day. I'd milk the goats and make cheese, I'd walk the dogs down at the river. I'd weed and weed and weed and weed the acre of gardens I tended. But I'm still a lazy bones Jones, as my mum used to say. Just because I am a lazy person, doesn't mean that I behave like one. All it means is that if I don't push myself, I would sit around and do not very much by default. However, I have things I want to do, so therein lies a conundrum. The logical and inescapable truth is I will have to build good habits to counteract my inner couch potato.  You can understand how being lazy leads to bad financial habits. I'm too lazy to make dinner, so I'll just get takeout. I'm too lazy to track what I spend, so I assum